Footwear plays an important role in protecting your foot from the extremes of temperature, moisture and injuries. Good footwear plays an important part in preventing falls for older people as it is widely recognized that wearing poor-fitting footwear is one of contributing factors of falling-related injuries.
So, what should you look for?
- Firm heel counter: to give support for the ankle and provide stability when walking
- Wide fitting in-toe box: a comfortable fit in length and width. Have at least a thumbs width between the end of the longest toe and the end of the shoe. This might sound odd but having your foot’s size measured when buying shoes is recommended because foot size and shape change as we get older. A tip is having both feet measure whilst standing and since one foot is often larger than the other, buy shoes to accommodate the larger of the two. If you have any painful areas, (ie. bunions) then wider fitting shoes are highly recommended to reduce pressure
- Slip resistance sole: look for a patterned or textured sole as this will provide traction and help to prevent slippage
- Laces, straps or fasteners are great in preventing too much movement or slippage of the foot inside the shoe. Avoid backless or slip-on shoes
- Look for shoes made from breathable materials, such as canvas or leather. In addition to being more durable, they will help keep the feet dry and cool, prevent blisters, discomfort, and smelly shoes.
Dr. Comfort and Revere are the popular ranges with our clients for both formal and casual for men and women, as both styles provide support, adequate width, with sturdy soles and come in different colours for everyone. So come into the clinic and try them out for yourself!
Booking online is super easy or you can call our clinic at (03) 9711 7562 and our team will help you make an appointment. We are located at 159 Kingsclere Ave, Keysborough and we look forward to seeing you at The Footcare Clinic.