It’s that time of the year where we plan to wrap up our work, get the car packed for the long-awaited holidays and spend time with our loved ones. Some of us will have planned meticulously for this occasion in the hope that our days away are spent with no fuss or worry whatsoever. But most people often forget to do the one thing that can make or break their holiday, and that is, they forget to think about their feet!
As Podiatrists we often see people arrive back from their holidays wanting to book an urgent appointment because their feet have been so painful and have literally ruined their holiday.
Here are our top tips for holidaymakers who want trouble-free feet while enjoying time away:
- Don’t start wearing your brand new shoes while you’re away. Instead, pack shoes that you’ve worn before that are comfortable and have never caused blisters or pain in your feet.
- Avoid wearing thongs for too long. Summer holidays mean one thing for beach-goers and that’s to get out the thongs. They’re ok to wear for short periods of time but not for long walks as they provide no support.
- If you’re holidaying at a campsite sharing communal spaces with others like pools, showers and toilets, it’s a good idea to spray your feet with some vinegar after using those facilities to avoid infections such as tinea or warts occurring on your feet.
- If you have painful corns or calluses on your feet, have them treated prior to your holiday to make sure they don’t trouble you while you’re away.
- Avoid wearing shoes without socks. It’s summer and your feet will likely get hot and sweaty. Socks will help to absorb that excess moisture so that you can avoid developing infections such as tinea. Plus who wants to endure smelly feet on their holidays, right?
- Last but not least, if you have an existing niggle in your legs or feet, address that now, don’t wait until you come back! See a Podiatrist for tips on how to treat the cause and address the symptoms before you go away.
Don’t let your feet ruin a good holiday that you’ve been looking forward to. If you think you need to book an appointment, you can do so online >>HERE<<. We’re here to help make sure you have a great time away with happy feet.